NJ Diva Girl

The life of a Ghetto Geek Diva...

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

Professional, Single, Student, Parent

  • Blog Mapping
  • Getty Images
  • Google News
  • Internet Broadcasting
  • RandomURL
  • Shadows
  • Sisterstalk
  • The Abrams Report
  • The Wendy Williams Experience
  •  

    Sunday, September 25, 2005

    NJDiva's Home for Imaginary Friends

    My son and I were watching "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" on Cartoon Network this afternoon. The show is about a place where imaginary friends stay so they won't be forgotten when the kids who imagine them grow up. It's an entertaining yet weird show. During a commercial break my son turns to me and ask, "Mom, did you ever have an imaginary friend when you were little?" I was a little shocked by the question. Then I started to chuckle. Yes, of course I had an imaginary friend. His name was Jordie. My son laughed at me and said, what kind of name is Jordie. Although, I hadn't thought about him in years, memories of Jordie begin to flood my memory. I don't remember where the name came from or when he became a part of my imagination. But, I clearly remembered spending long hours playing and talking with Jordie. We would drink tea, play house and even argue. But mostly, me and ole Jordie talked and talked. It was funny how much I remembered. Only thing is, I couldn't quite remember at what point he stopped being a part of my imagination. So, when the show went off, I called my mom to ask her if she remembered. She told me that when I was about 2 years old, she went into the bathroom to find the floor wet and the entire roll of toilet paper unraveled and stuffed into the toilet. She called me in and asked me about it. I told her Jordie did it. She tore my butt up. That was the last time she ever heard anything else about Jordie.

    From my understanding, many children have imaginary friends for different reasons. I never really talked about mines because I've never come across any other adult who has remembered or admitted to having a childhood pretend friend. At any rate, in hindsight, I think Jordie provided me with companionship. He also helped me to articulate my thoughts, ideas, confront my fears and expand my language skills. Who knows maybe old Jordie is still around...serving as my conscience?

    4 Comments:

    At 9/26/2005 8:16 AM, Blogger Luke Cage said...

    Cute post dear. I laughed at the part where you accused poor Jordie of messing up the floor and stuffing the toilet bowl. How uncool of you was that? (smile)

    However, I honestly never had an imaginary friend and I feel so left out because it seems like everyone else did. Now, how whack is that?

     

    At 9/28/2005 9:03 AM, Blogger princessdominique said...

    I've never heard of that show but I don't remember if I had an imaginary friend or not. I know that I have had real friends who are sometimes imaginary because you wonder if they really exist. Sounds like the beginning of a blog post so I'll cut and paste.

     

    At 9/30/2005 3:08 PM, Blogger Chicalookate said...

    I didn't have an imaginary friend, but my brother had Jim Tim. And about the time he got embarassed about J-T he had him die... he would come back and then die again. He says he doesn't remember him, but I think he is lying.

     

    At 10/05/2005 10:12 AM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

    Were you an only child? Im wondering because I/we, my 3 brothers and I never had imaginary friends, but we had each other.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

     

     

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory

    Who Links Here  
    Blogroll Me!

     


    Link to Groovy Lizard

     

     

     

    ARCHIVES

    July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 July 2007

    Three's Company
    Friends
    The Summer is OVER!
    Words Can't Express
    Untitled...
    My New Blender
    She's Baaaaaaaaaaaaack!
    Relieved
    Everything is Everything
    The Condom

  • Confessions of a Jersey Goddess
  • Crunk And Disorderly
  • Lowered Expectations
  • Urban Knight
  • Myrah Love Today
  • Princess Dominique
  • Sarcasm In A Bottle
  • Sex Kitten
  •